Dr Ruta Vaidya Ph.D, FHEA
- ROLE:Lecturer in Journalism and Digital Media
- CONTACT:+971 (0)4 361 6244
- EMAIL:[email protected]
Dr Ruta is a doctoral degree holder from the division of sociology with a specialisation in media and cultural studies at Nanyang Technological University (NTU), Singapore. Prior to pursuing a PhD in Singapore, she has received a double MA in Journalism and Media Studies from Erasmus Mundus- Europe from the University of Aarhus, Denmark; University of Amsterdam, The Netherlands; and the University of Hamburg, Germany.
Dr Ruta has worked as an associate lecturer at the Singapore University of Social Sciences (SUSS), Singapore. She has taught several courses in the disciplines of Social and Behavioural Sciences, and Media and Journalism. She has the expertise of designing and developing new courses and curriculum at the University within higher education. She has taught a range of courses including Social Science Research Methods, Contemporary Society, Social Stratification, Digital Media and Journalism, Culture, Self and Identity and Social Psychology.
In addition, she has over eight years of work experience as a media professional in communications, broadcast industry pertaining to content production, media convergence and content acquisitions in some of the top media organizations such as Turner International, Star Group and Fox International.
- PhD in Sociology, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore
- PGCert in Higher Education, Middlesex University Dubai
- Double MA in Journalism and Media Studies, Erasmus Mundus-University of Aarhus (Denmark), University of Amsterdam (Netherlands), and University of Hamburg (Germany).
- Middlesex Staff Innovation Award for Creative Collaboration (2022-2023)
- Nanyang Graduate Research Scholarship, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore (2014-2018)
- University Teaching Certificate for Teaching Assistants, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore (2015)
- Erasmus Mundus scholarship, Universities of Aarhus, Amsterdam, and Hamburg (2006-2008)
- Culture, Self and Identity
- Political Economy of Media
- Media Production
- Media Industries, Media Convergence, Media Audience Analysis
- Social Science Research Methods
- Morality and Education
- Vaidya, Ruta. 2020. “Meaning-making Processes of Genre Classification of English TV Shows.” Asia Journal of Research in Social Sciences and Humanities 10 (9): 1-12. Asia Research Consortium, http://www.aijsh.com.
- Vaidya, Ruta. 2019. “A cultural study of Disney's Star Wars: theorizing circuit of culture.” Doctoral thesis, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore.
- Vaidya, Ruta. 2013. “Glocalization of Cartoon Channels in India: Interviews with Channel Experts.” International Journal of Humanities and Social Sciences 3 (13) :241-264. Research India Publications, http://www.ripublication.com.
- Vaidya, Ruta., and Osman, Yousra. 2022. Disney characters as moral role models for “Resilience”: Using Encanto and Coco as case studies. Paper read at the ‘Fifth International ERPBSS conference’, 24-25 February 2022 at Middlesex University Dubai, UAE.
- Vaidya, Ruta., and Osman, Yousra. 2022. Interdisciplinary Advising Through Personal Tutor Groups. Paper read at the ‘21st Middlesex Annual Learning and Teaching Conference’, 7th Sept 2022 at Middlesex University, Hendon online.
- Vaidya, Ruta. 2018. A Cultural Study of Disney’s Star Wars: Theorizing ‘Circuit of Culture’. Paper read at ‘Theorizing the Popular Conference’, 11-12 July 2018 at Liverpool Hope University, Liverpool, UK.
- Vaidya, Ruta. 2018. A Cultural Study of Disney’s Star Wars: Theorizing ‘Circuit of Culture’. Paper read at the ‘4th CoHASS Graduate Conference 2018’, 12-13 March 2018 at Nanyang Technological University, Singapore.
- Vaidya, Ruta. 2015. Meaning-making Processes of Genre Classification of English TV Shows in India. Paper read at ‘6th EU SSSI conference ‘Working the Interactionist Tradition: Contributions, Legacies and Prospects’, 29-31 July 2015 at The University of Salford, Manchester, UK.