The competition: A poster presentation on financial analysis using data visualization tools.
Sponsors: Al Futtaim Logistics
Prize money: 1st prize: AED1000 and 2nd prize: AED 600 and 3rd prize: AED 400
Task: You are a team of financial analysts appointed by an investor to advise which ONE of the following two companies listed on FTSE 100 is worthwhile to invest.
- TED BAKER PLC
- BURBERRY PLC
You are required to do a financial data analysis and present your investment decision to the investors using data visualization tools.
The team: This event is open only to undergraduate students (Year1,2 and 3) of BA Accounting and Finance and BA Business Accounting. A team consists of 3 or 4 students across the two programmes (any team with less than 3 members or more than 4 members will get disqualified).
- Register for the competition.
- Download data only from Morningstar.com, data from any other site is not acceptable.
- You are expected to perform financial data analysis. Ratios, valuation and other analysis are readily available on the website, do not redo the computation.
- The numbers can be seen on the website under the main tabs, such as financials, valuation, operating performance, key ratios, price vs fair value etc. Click the tab: “Financials” and this will open three additional tabs- Income statement, Balance Sheet and Cash flows. All participants should access the same type of data as given below:
Use “as of reported”
Only 5 years data can be accessed free. You may choose to present 3/4/5 years data. 2018 figures should be included. Exclude TTM (Trailing Twelve Months).
- Use data visualization tools and present them on a single A0 size paper. Make sure all the team member’s name, year of study and program are clearly stated on the poster.
- On the event day you must arrive 30 min before to display the poster at the venue and present your investment decision in a 60 second time frame (basically your decision in a nut shell). There will be a Q & A session conducted by the judges and your team must answer the questions precisely and confidently. Please note, only under extenuating circumstances a team member can be absent, otherwise the team will get disqualified.
- 20%: relevant and meaningful data is used for investment analysis
- 50%: Quality of the data visualization tools. For e.g.:
- The graph or chart used is appropriate for a data
- The arrangement and flow of the graphs/charts/diagrams
- Clarity and easiness for decision making
- Aesthetic appeal in terms of color, font, font size etc.
Click here to see the FAQs
- 10%: clear investment decision communicated during the one-minute talk.
- 20%: Q&A