Frequently Asked Questions
- What are the requirements for student visa renewal?
For a student visa renewal, you will be required to submit the following documents:
- Completed visa application form
- 8 passport-size photographs (with white background)
- Original passport
- Please make sure that your passport is valid for at least one year from the time of visa application.
- Original Emirates ID
- Copy of fee receipts
- 50% tuition fee
- Visa processing fee of AED 4,310 (this includes the visa processing, medical tests, medical insurance and emirates ID)
- How soon can I renew my student visa?
Students are advised to renew their student visa one month before the visa expires.
- Do I need to exit the country when renewing my visa?
No. The whole renewal process will be done inside the UAE and will not require you to exit the country anymore.
- Why do I need medical insurance when renewing my student visa?
Medical insurance is required by the Government for the student’s welfare hence it is mandatory for students to have one.
- Who are exempt from medical insurance?
Medical insurance is not required if you hold a private medical insurance which is valid for a minimum of 6 months from the time of visa application and includes UAE coverage. In this case, a copy of the medical insurance card and medical insurance policy will need to be presented to the MDX Visa Office. Exemption will be subject to the management’s approval.
- Can I renew my visa while I am outside the country?
No. You have to be inside the country during visa renewal as you will be required to undergo another medical test.
- I have failed to renew my student visa on time, do I get fines for this?
In most cases YES. However, the final decision and the exact amount of fines will always be determined by the Government Service Office.
- Do I need to cancel my student visa if I suddenly interrupt or withdraw my studies?
Yes, you will be required to visit MDX Visa Office to cancel your student visa. This applies to students who are interrupting or withdrawing from MDX.
- I would like to move to another university, do I still need to cancel my visa?
Yes, this is a must in order for your new university to open a file at the Immigration Office under your name.
- I am outside the country with a valid student visa but I don’t plan to return to Dubai. Is my visa automatically cancelled?
No. You still need to formally cancel your visa by sending your original passport and original Emirates ID card to MDX Visa Office.
Proper visa cancellation has to be processed in order to clear your name from the immigration system in case you do plan to return to UAE in the future.
- I am inside the country with an expired student visa. Is my visa automatically cancelled?
No. You will still be required to submit your original passport and original Emirates ID card to MDX Visa Office to formally cancel your visa.
- My passport has expired but my student visa is still valid. What should I do?
We kindly advise you to renew your passport by visiting your embassy here in the UAE.
Once your new passport is issued, please attach it to the old passport as your student visa is in the old passport.
- My student visa is expiring and so is my passport. What should I do?
We encourage you to renew your passport first before renewing your visa.
- I lost my passport here in the UAE, what should I do?
Please drop by at the MDX Visa Office and request a Letter for Lost Passport. You will be guided through for the entire process.
- I lost my passport outside the country with a valid student visa, what should I do?
Please contact MDX Visa Office and you will be guided through the entire process.
- I am outside the country with a valid visa but my passport is less than 6 months from the expiration date. Can I still enter the UAE?
No. You have to secure a new passport. Once the new passport is issued, please attach it to the old passport as your student visa is in your old passport.
- My visa is expiring next month, can I still enter the UAE?
Yes you can. Just make sure that you enter the UAE at least a week before your visa expires.
- My visa is expiring next month, can I still travel outside of the UAE?
We highly encourage you to either renew or cancel your visa one month prior to your travel plans in order to avoid problems at the airport.
- My visa has expired but I need to leave the country urgently. What should I do?
Unfortunately, the only choice you have is to formally cancel your visa with MDX Visa Office as you will not be allowed by Immigration Office to leave the country with an expired visa.
Please take note that expired visa does not mean that it is automatically cancelled.
- Is there a “grace period” after visa cancellation?
Yes, if you will be cancelling your visa for at least 2 weeks before your visa expiration, you are entitled to a “30-days” grace period.
However, grace periods are determined by the Immigration Office, hence there is no assurance that a 30-day period will always be granted.
- Is there a fee for visa cancellation?
Yes. The visa cancellation fee will be deducted from your visa deposit.
- How much is the cancellation fee and how long is the process?
You have two options when cancelling your visa inside the country.
a) Express Cancellation - AED 1,140
The processing time for express cancellation is 5 working days.
b) Normal cancellation – AED 640
The processing time for normal cancellation is 10-12 working days.
NOTE: Fees are subject to change