Careers & Employability Service
CAREER ADVICE FOR GRADUATES
You are probably all too aware of the current global economic uncertainties and may know people who have been directly affected here in the UAE. This has always been a challenging market in which to obtain your first graduate level job and this year, unfortunately, is likely to be even harder.
The best way to improve your chances of finding the role you are hoping for is to work even harder now to enhance your employability.
How can you make yourself more attractive to employers?
- Have a clear idea of the sector you want to work in and what current trends are – the challenges and opportunities. This means research.
- Know yourself – what skills, knowledge and experience can you offer a future employer? List and provide examples of these, ready for the application process.
- Develop transferable skills through voluntary or part-time work and use these examples in your applications. Register with the CES to receive employment opportunities and news of internships and career events as they come in.
- Research which companies are offering Graduate Training Schemes. Request a database from the CES and APPLY EARLY.
- Prepare an excellent CV. Examples and CV-checking available from the CES.
- Research prospective employers and work hard at your job search. The CES has a Local Employment handout – start early and think broadly.
- Use ALL your network of friends, family & professional contacts to source sector information & potential openings. Know what you are looking for and what you will be prepared to accept – be realistic! Local experience in a related sector could be a good start.
- Book a practice interview with the CES: firstname.lastname@example.org / email@example.com
- Apply for the Middlesex Mentoring Scheme (MMS) – this will match you with a mentor who has local experience and will help you work towards your career goals: If you need further details, you may write to Miss Alveena Javed on firstname.lastname@example.org
This is an excellent time to consider a Masters or professional qualification which will enable you to specialize in a professional field and add value to your Bachelors degree & what you can offer an employer. Information is available from the Careers office in Block 16 , Dubai Knowledge Park.
Alveena Javed | Alpa Katkoria | CES | Room 307B