search button

A Modern University, Rich in History

17/10/2012

The Middlesex Crest – Arms of Middlesex County

Over the coming few months, Middlesex University will be making a transition to the use of a new logo. The ‘new’ logo (already in use for Degrees), will gradually replace the current logo with the infinity symbol. The new logo shows the crest of Middlesex County (now part of Greater London) with the ‘coats of arms’ which were attributed by the mediaeval heralds to the Kingdoms of the Anglo-Saxon Heptarchy. The Middlesex County crest is symbolic of Middlesex University’s heritage, dating back to the late 19th Century.

Middlesex was established as a University in 1992. It is now widely regarded as an excellent international provider of higher education with an outstanding academic credential and highly employable and successful graduates.

The history of Middlesex University began in the late 1880s, when two educational institutions opened their doors in north London – St Katherine’s College and the Hornsey School of Arts and Crafts. Both would become part of Middlesex Polytechnic, which was founded in 1973. Middlesex was awarded the title ‘University’ – by Royal Assent – in 1992.

Key dates in Middlesex history:

  • 1878 St Katherine’s College opens in Tottenham and is in use for more than a century
  • 1882 Hornsey School of Arts and Crafts founded
  • 1901 Ponders End Technical Institute (still the home of the University’s Social Sciences programmes) begins
  • 1939 Hendon Technical Institute opens in the Burroughs, Hendon. The University’s most popular campus – much rejuvenated – continues to operate here
  • 1947 Trent Park College of Education opens to train necessary teachers in the post-war period. Teachers are still trained on the Trent Park Campus
  • 1962 New College of Speech and Drama opens
  • 2005 Middlesex University opens it’s first overseas campus in Dubai, U.A.E.

© Copyright Middlesex University Dubai 2015